Entertainment
GamersMafia.us Current Forum Backdrop
Gaming
Creativity
Technology
Gamers Mafia News Flash
:::::: The Gamers Mafia forums shut down in April 2009. We returned in April 2022. Welcome old and new members! ::::::
Apple iPhone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CYB3RD0M1N10N
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Apple iPhone Reply with quote

Apple's iPhone

[html]
[/html]

Reno and I have been having discussions over AOL instant messenger about this new piece of technology. So, I've decided to bring this out in the open to see what others have to say about it. As for myself, I have mixed feeling about it and Reno has told me he outright hates it. Well there are some things I like and dislike about it.

For example, it uses 2.5G Technology to access the internet using EDGE which is very slow out in the open unless you are on a high speed Wi-fi. My Carrier for my Sanyo is Sprint and it uses 3G which is twice as fast, I would consider it a downgrade to switch to an iPhone with AT&T unless they upgrade that 3G internet speed.

The second thing is, there is no flash on the camera, even though my phone is only 1.2 MegaPixel and the iPhone has a 2Megapixel camera, by not having a built in flash, I would miss a lot of photo opportunities that I would normally get with my current phone. If they had a built in flash that would be a plus, but not really a selling point quite yet.

The Next thing is the touchscreen. Now I love touchscreens and I have been waiting forever for touch screen technology to come out. When I saw the demonstration at the keynote, my jaw literally dropped. Wow! Touchscreens are the future!

Reno on the other hand, doesn't like the fact that the touch screen has no braile or tactile touch to it. There are some companies working on a technology for mobile devices that have use the same technology found in the Xbox and Playstation controllers. You know the ones that have a motor in them so you can feel touch when you hit a button? Yea like that. That's what they are considering doing. Putting tiny motors behind the touch screen to make it feel like a real keyboard. Will apple adapt that? Who knows.

Touch screens have their advantages and that is a big selling point for me. Having no buttons is a big plus for me even though it ticks off a lot of other people. Oh well.

The next thing is of course OS X, now I'm not saying this just because its apple. I'm saying OS X becuse they basically took a full fledged operating system and miniaturized it. It also means you get to run full apps when using the iPhone not cheap imitations. Try using AIM on a Samsung, it sucks. Try using e-mail that sucks too. Even using mobile devices on the web over a device using Windows CE or something like that won't even come close to what the iPhone does with internet. I adore and love the features and hope apple improves on them. But the phone itself.. well eh.

Here's another thing.. no memory expansion port. I like my Sanyo because I can stick in a small flash memory chip and store 256MB of pics and videos on it then export them to my computer later.

The iPhone comes with just either 4GB or 8GB flash drive that's it. For 600 bucks I want 100GB or better yet I want 500GB or a 1TB flash drive. Come on apple give us more for our hard earned cash.

Now, about the screen.. Reno seems to think that a touch screen would smudge.

Well in the keynote address while introducing the iPhone one selling points was it was both smudge proof and scratch resistant. Both are extrmely important to me and great selling points.

But my phone has a Nation Wide Walkie Talkie feature built in. Can't do that with an iPhone. (Sorry apple I won't buy your phone until I get all the features I want).

The other stuff, photos, music and movies. Well that's way too awesome to talk about here. It blows away any other mobile device on the market. Nothing even comes close to it in those categories.

So anyways... Here is an awsome review called the "No BS iPhone Review".

Its pages and pages long so prepare to spend at least 30 minutes reading. But it goes over practially every detail both pros and cons. A very practical and balanced review. In fact its the most comprehensive review I've seen on the net to date.

Go HERE to read it then come back and post your comments.

After you have read it.. and are wondering about the phone itself, how durable is it? Will it survive a drop test? How about a Scratch test?

Watch this -->PC World iPhone Scratch and Drop Testing. This guy gives it a thorough test of both scratching and dropping.

So am I going to get an iPhone? Nope, not until it's 3G internet, Sprint Compatible, flash on the camera, and has nationwide walkie talkie features. Oh yea the price has to come way down to maybe $100 or less and I don't want to use AT&T as the carrier. I also don't want to be locked into a two year contract.

Okay.. comments anyone?

Xan CYB3RD0M1N10N Carrico. COD Gamer, YouTube & Twitch
Streamer, Game Developer, Ethical Hacker. From Chico California.

Last edited by CYB3RD0M1N10N on Wed Nov 24 2021 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
CYB3RD0M1N10N's Famous Last Words: 4LL Y0(_)R B4S3 4R3 B3L0NG T0 (_)S
Lion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current $50 LG phone can do many of the things the iphone can, and AT&T service is none existant where i live because their service here sucks. So i'll stay away from it until they come big time down on the price and they get a reliable carrier like verizon on them.
Lion's Famous Last Words: Alexandria,UBW
CYB3RD0M1N10N
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Apple originally was trying to get Verizon as their exclusive carrier, but Verizon refused because apple wanted a piece of the profits from the phone contracts and Versizon wanted 100% of the phone contract profits.

It goes something like this, when you sign up for a cell phone contract the carrier has to pay about $13 a month (I think it was closer to $12.95 if I remember right) to give you phone coverage over the cell phone towers. They barrow bandwidth from other carriers to give you access nationwide and pay the owners of those towers and the rest is profit. I used to sell cell phones and I know that Versizon needs to charge at least $35 a month to make it's profit. That's around 37% profit (also called markup). Apple wanted a big piece of that, and that would eaten into Verizon's profit margin and they just couldn't agree.

So apple asked AT&T and they agreed, I don't know the details but I do know why they need you to sign a two year contract. If it was less than that, AT&T would have done the same thing Versizon did. But with a two year contract they are guaranteed a certain amount of profit and apple can share that with them. That's why Apple has AT&T as the exclusive carrier.

I also know that overseas apple is attempting a deal with T-Mobile. I think it was Great Britain if I remember right. I just read about it the other day.

I've seen the LG phone you are talking about it called the LG KE850 also known as the "Prada" and its exclusive to Europe only.

[html:4221a7e5e5]<center></center>[/html:4221a7e5e5]

It's one made by LG that's has a touch screen like apple's. The strange thing is it actually came out BEFORE apple's iPhone did. Does LG's Prada (KE850) look familiar?
What do you think? Did apple copy cat this phone?

See this phone came out in December 2006 a full 6 months before Apple's iPhone did. Since it came out in Europe and is only used in Europe there was not much press about it in the United States.

The difference really is Apple's iPhone has a full OS X operating system in it. It means theoretically I can run all the applications I have on my mac on it. FULL apps not just the little web apps that lots of these smart phones use.

Although LG's Prada comes pretty darn close to apple's iPhone in features.

The touch screen is significatly smaller though and the resolution is not anywhere as high as the iPhone.

Here's a demo of the iPhone and the Prada so you can compare these two phones.

[html:4221a7e5e5]<center>Prada DEMONSTRATION</center>[/html:4221a7e5e5]

[html:4221a7e5e5]<center>iPhone DEMONSTRATION</center>[/html:4221a7e5e5]

So they are very similar, but an executive from LG stated that even though the interfaces are simular, they said they are aiming an an entirely different market then the iPhone is. They are also not aiming to sell millions of them, wherr as Apple is betting heavily on the iPhone. So much that they delayed Mac OS X Leopard because of the iPhone.

Anyone else want to comment on this discussion?

scottytoohotty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really don't care about these devices, but just came across this so i'll post it.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

as far as i'm concerned as long as i can call someone with moderate quality then its good enough for me. no reason to waste that kind of money on things i won't use. for that kind of price i would just play movies on my new laptop, as well as games, music, and pretty much whatever else i want to do with it.
CYB3RD0M1N10N
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true scotty, some people do prefer just basics. My dad and my brother have pay as you go cell phones with no features at all on them.

I however use and need the walkie-talkie feature that only a Sprint-Nextel phone can offer, plus I use Instant Messenger while on the cell on the go when at large concerts and venues when its too noisy to hear anything at all on a phone. The walkie-talkie feature comes in handy when all I need is a short range communication without using up any airtime minutes. Like my wife waiting in the car while I'm shopping or something like that.

One night it was pouring rain and 5 feet of snow have located a motel nearby within our area in 10 minutes flat.

It's that type of thing I use my cell for. Another time I was eating dinner at a resturant, and wanted to know the scores of the game on television I was missing. I have direct access in realtime to sports scores with my cell phone so I was able to watch the scores of the games while waiting in line at the buffet.

The iPhone has this great feature I like. It was demonstrated at the keynote at one of apple's conferences called MacWorld Expo.

Steve jobs was in San Francsico and wanted to show an example of using the google maps features along with the GPS feature of the phone.

He typed in Expresso, and Starbucks popped up on the map, and all the little pinpoint positions came up on the map (full screen not just a mobile-like webpage) It showed him his location via GPS and the nearest Starbucks.

He just used his finger to point to it on the map, and it dialed it instantly.

I wish my phone had that kind nof functionality.

Yea, some people just need the basics, but others will pay plenty for features that they absolutely need.

I pay about $59 a month for nation-wide long distance , no roaming charges, 500 text messages, internet capability, live TV, MP3 player through the sprint music store and Sirius Radio stations though my phone, with Video recording capability and 1.2Megapixel camera.

The phone itself was about about a 69 bucks, because I bought it on the family plan (we have two seperate phone numbers for me and my wife), the normal price of that phone was about 239 bucks.

She is an on-call nurse so that's how she is reached, and I use mine as my mobile office phone so I can be reached on the go 24hours a day 7 days a week.

The iPhone if it had that walkie-talkie feature and was by sprint is the one I would want to have. But its missing some vital features that's why I'm holding off for now.

Adralek
Godfather
Godfather

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

now i want a nokia e70 ;p
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index Technology All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: